So it’s lent and I’m reminded of no meat on Fridays! Immediately, I’m frantically checking the fridge and looking for meatless dinner options. I was hit with inspiration as I remembered that gnocchi is meatless and also absolutely delicious. I wanted to share this White and Coconut Flour Sweet Potato Gnocchi recipe that has a butter and sage sauce.
I chose sweet potatoes because they tend to be a healthier option than white potatoes. And since we are in the spirit of healthier options, I wanted to experiment using half coconut flour and half white flour to mix in with the cooked sweet potatoes. Of course the butter and sage sauce is fatty and delicious but that’s what makes the dish terrific!
-3 medium sweet potatoes
-2 sticks unsalted butter
-2 cups white flour
-2 cups coconut flour
-1/2 grated parmesan cheese
-fresh sage (about 6 sprigs)
- Cut up your sweet potatoes into large sections and boil until you can poke them easily with a fork. Keep your water that you boiled the potatoes in for later.
2. Once they are done, you can easily peal away the skin. No need for a potato peeler! Place them in a bowl and let them cool fully.
Before you get started, line your table with parchment paper. The clean up is a breeze!
3. Grate the cubes with a cheese grater and sprinkle some flour onto the parchment paper to prepare your working surface.
4. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of white flour, 2 cups of coconut flour, and 1/2 a cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix to combine.
5. Pour out your grated sweet potatoes onto the floured surface and make a dent in the middle. Scramble your 2 eggs and pour in the center of the grated sweet potatoes.
6. Sprinkle the flour and cheese mixture over the sweet potatoes and eggs. Start to gradually knead the sweet potatoes.
7. Knead the dough until it resembles a loaf. The dough should be not too dry but not too sticky.
8. Cut into 4 parts. This makes working with the dough easier. I put two sections in the freezer to have next week!
9. Roll out the quartered dough and cut in half. Use one half and roll out into a “snake” like roll. Just like playdough!
10. Take a butter knife and cut into 1 inch pillow-like pieces.
Make as many pillows as you’d like!
11. Place the 2 sticks of butter into a medium sauce pan. Cut up the 6 sprigs of sage and let simmer with the butter.
12. Boil your water from the sweet potatoes you boiled earlier and bring back to a boil. Place the pillows of gnocchi into the boiling water for about 2-3 minutes.
13. The butter and sage sauce should be simmering. Place the gnocchi into the sauce for about a minute.
Transfer to a bowl and…. there you have it!
A meatless and delicious dinner that is so filling and tasty! You can barely taste the coconut but the subtlety is amazing! It adds such a new element that is so worth it. It’s the perfect meal for a Friday in Lent especially if you’re not a fish fan! Let me know what you think!
Happy Lent 🙂